Friday, May 1, 2009

The myth of Ryeset and Apollo

Once there was a nymph called Ryeset. She was a beautiful nymph, with long golden hair, deep purple eyes, and rosy cheeks. And every night, as the sun touched the sea beyond the thick vegetation of Ryeset’s home, and the moon began to rise as the sky grew dark, she danced. She danced for the moon, and for Artemis, the goddess of the moon. Once, Artemis took her flying in her silver chariot. And just before she left and the sun rose, she said “Ryeset, if you ever need a favor, call on me, for you are my favorite of all the nymphs.”
Ryeset was the loveliest of all the nymphs, and for this, Aphrodite was jealous. So she called her son, Eros. “You must shoot that nymph Ryeset with one of your arrows while she sleeps.” She said, “And when she wakes, I will bring her a troll, or a goat to love.”
“No mother.” Eros said. “I will not shoot someone just for one of you cruel tricks. Not after what happened with Psyche.” So Aphrodite thought for a minute. What about Artemis’s twin, Apollo? Yes, yes that would work. So she said,
“Shoot her, and I swear by Styx that I will bring her Apollo. After all, shouldn’t the most beautiful nymph have the most handsome god?” Eros could see no harm in this, so he went and shot the girl with on of his arrows. Then Aphrodite made an excuse to fetch Apollo from Mt Olympus, and brought him to where Ryeset was sleeping.
Ryeset awoke, and immediately fell in love with Apollo. But before she could so much as stand, Apollo had disappeared. “Where did he go?” she wailed. “Will he ever come back? Oh Aphrodite, can you bring him back?”
“I could, but I won’t.” The goddess said. “And for daring to be as beautiful as I am, I curse you. You are madly in love with Apollo, but he will never love you back, never notice your beauty that you don’t deserve. Because you’ll be invisible for eternity!”
She left as Ryeset disappeared.
“Artemis, help me!” Ryeset cried.
Immediately, the goddess of the moon appeared. “Where are you?” she called.
“I’m here. Aphrodite cursed me. I’m to be invisible for all eternity! And I love your brother! Oh, can’t you help me?” Ryeset pleaded.
Artemis thought for a minute. “I can’t bring you back; your beautiful face is gone forever. But I can give you this.” And she made a dress of clouds, coloring them a gorgeous combination of gold, purple and pink. “This dress will change a little all the time. That way, you’ll always be beautiful, never exactly the same twice. That’s all I can do for you.” And then the goddess left.
Apollo was just barely beginning to drive his flaming chariot, the sun, across the sky, and she rushed to meet him. She flew across deserts, plains and oceans, and hovered by him, her cloud dress glowing with her happiness. But as he got farther across the sky, he flew higher than she could, so she had to follow below. And as her unhappiness grew, her dress faded to white. But when Apollo sank low in the sky to finish his journey, she caught up with him at last, and her dress became colored again. And after he left and the sky became dark, Ryeset flew back across the sky, to wait for him when he came the next day. And to this day, she continues doing that, creating the sunsets and sunrises that we love to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment